Tuesday, February 10, 2009

6 Nations Round 2 Rugby Betting Tip and Team News

Wales v England 6 Nations Team News and Betting

I sat down on Monday and thought to myself, what price was a I willing to back Wales against England after their respective performances last weekend. I thought Wales -12.5 was about what I expected to be stuck up on the board and I would probably still back them at that for a point or two.

Low and behold a few hours later, two bookies had Wales at -8 and a few others at -9. I jumped for joy. English bookies have over inflated opinions of their egg chasers, clearly seen before last Autumn with the NZ game, where the handicap line was less than 20. I was expecting more of an over reaction from their terrible performance last weekend so starting off at -8pt was just very surprising.

The fact is these English players don't have direction, ability and a chance against a strong attacking Welsh side. England were listless at the weekend and Bergamasco was their man of the match as he created everything for them. They are aimless with the forward play and seem obsessed to keep running up the 1st channel even when it isn't working. Against Italy's blitz defence all they tried was picking and driving around the fringes. Sure Ellis made a few decent breaks but that was because of Italian turnovers and a scrum half disaster in blue. Last week England rucked and drove 25% of their ball while Wales did barely 10% but handled Scotland's attempts when they opted for that. England are extremely limited in their ability with ball in hand. Click on the link for English game betting review of their last game, makes so good points on how England haven't progressed since the Autumn.

Wales have a few injury concerns with Henson, Williams, Ryan Jones but even still if they play their high intensity game the English may just simply collapse. Goode did a job last weekend but with relentless Welsh running and offloading his kicking game is limited especially against a team who can counter. Looking at last weekends stats England kicked 24% of all possession at Twickenham whilst Wales playing away kicked only 10%. If England keep doing this they are only going to play to Wales strengths.

The Welsh's biggest victory over England is 25-0 only 104 years ago! With the average points scored in this tie at 24. The only history I'll really be looking at this game is the coaching record for each of the management teams. That speaks volumes and can clearly tells the future.

Oh and Wales are at home as well, -9 for the Champions is crazy.

Recommendation:- Wales -9pts for 3 points

5 comments:

  1. I fancy France to beat the handicap too, what do u reckon ken?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought Scotland were extremely poor in the first half but they did improve in the second half, although that could be down to Wales switching off.

    France if they played like they did against Ireland probably won't concede the types of tries Ireland scored against them as Scotland don't have the finishing ability, even with the Evans brothers in.

    I would probably favour France at 15.5pt, but I'm going to study up a little bit first before making the call.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had your optimism Ken, but I think us Welsh will have a tough time this afternoon. I've backed England with a 10.5pt head start as even if Wales win I'm sure it won't be by much.

    All the best,

    Mark

    P.S. I really hope I'm wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Should of taken your advice Ken. France after costing me a small fortune, thought they were good value

    ReplyDelete
  5. In all fairness France and Wales played within themselves today.

    England did a great job stopping Wales, do you remember one offload in the game?

    Very annoyed with Wales, didn't compete at the breakdown. Interestingly if Ireland play well tomorrow they could be favourites.

    ReplyDelete